Importance of early orthodontic intervention
Here at Orthosmile, we understand the importance of straight teeth to children and teenagers, and the effects it can have on their self-esteem and social confidence. It’s particularly critical in this modern age of camera phones and social media, where a great smile can really go a long way to improving a child’s confidence. Children can often feel very self-conscious about having crooked or misaligned teeth, but with specialist orthodontic treatment this can very easily be corrected.
Our specialist orthodontists in West London can begin orthodontic treatment as soon as the adult teeth have come out, usually around the ages of 7 and 8, and the sooner we can get to work, the better! When patients come to Orthosmile when they’re young, and as the jaws of the children of this age group are still growing, our orthodontists can work with that jaw development to ensure that the teeth form properly. It’s best to nip these dental problems in the bud, rather than wait until adulthood when the problems may be more difficult to correct. If you are concerned about your child’s teeth, it really is best to come to us earlier rather than later, so as to achieve the best results possible.
Early assessment can help correct or manage any of the following:
- Thumb or finger sucking, which can cause significant problems with the position of the teeth, as well as with the growth and development of the jaws. It may also encourage unwanted mouth breathing.
- Crowding or where there is not enough space in the jaws to accommodate all the teeth, leading to problems later down the line.
- Crossbites that can cause displacement of the jaw and long-term effects on the jaw joint
- Early loss of teeth, missing teeth or delayed eruption of the teeth
- Presence of any hypoplastic teeth (a defect of the tooth enamel where the enamel is deficient in amount) or teeth of long-term poor prognosis
- Submerged teeth
- Presence of extra teeth
- Significant protrusion of the teeth which can increase the chances of accidental dental trauma or sports injury by 30%
Want to discuss your child's options?
At Orthosmile, we understand the importance of early intervention for children. Our highly qualified and experienced specialist orthodontists can achieve great results for your child. Book your initial free consultation and let us examine your child's teeth and recommend the best orthodontic treatment just for them.Book your free consultation